Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince



On Everything Happening for a Reason, Details magazine, 1991: "There are no accidents. And if there are, it's up to us to look at them as something else. And that bravery is what creates new flowers."

Prince died today. One of my most beloved icons and one who profoundly influenced my taste in music is no longer of the earth.


I remember hearing about his concerts when I was in junior high/high school, how he performed...hmmm...self-gratifying sexual acts on stage. Needless to say, I wasn't allowed to see him in concert, but I sure could listen to his music, and it was fantastic.


His death affects me like Michael Jackson's, Alan Rickman's, David Bowie's, and Robin Williams'.


Prince was a beautiful man. No matter what your perceptions are of him or his music, he was a beautiful-looking man: sexy eyes, great smile, and mile-high cheekbones. 


There's not a lot to know about him because he was ultimately very private, and understandably so. Growing up, and even now, hearing his music made me feel alive and electric, happy, and free. And even his ballads, even what he wrote about with his lyrics, it was all beautifully sad and insightful. 


Then there was that aura he carried with him. He was untouchable, really. A true legend. And I am so glad that he came onto the scene when I was growing up. What a fantastic time to be the age I was when his music hit the charts.


I'm sad today. Maybe this is what starts happening as we get older. People die. And not just celebrities, musicians, and artists who have helped define some fucking great moments in our lives, but people in our family, friends, even acquaintances die.


I'll take denial. If it keeps me from feeling this sad, I'll take it. Aging sucks. The alternative isn't great, but aging still sucks. And today...Prince died.



Prince...truly singing (not lip synching) at Super Bowl XLI...fantastic performance, even with his Purple Rain (phalic) guitar...one of the best halftime performances ever. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written, baby...

Unknown said...

Beautifully written!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive